iappANZ is the pre-eminent forum for privacy professionals in Australia and New Zealand. We are a separately constituted, fully independent body catering to the interests of privacy professionals in our region. We have chosen to affiliate with the International Association of Privacy Professionals, IAPP, which is the pre-eminent professional body at the global level.
Anyone with specific interest in privacy from a business, regulatory, risk, academic, governance, compliance or advocacy perspective, will be interested in becoming a member or having a close association with this professional body, which was established to better meet the networking, knowledge and career development needs of privacy professionals in this region.
Our inaugural annual general meeting was held in Sydney in 27 August 2008 to co-incide with our one day conference launch event - Privacy in a Dramatically Changing Landscape.
'Privacy proofing your organisation' was the theme of our second annual conference held in Melbourne in 2009 which proved to be a very informative event. Opened by Senator Joe Ludwig and with featured speakers such as Mozelle Thompson, former US Federal Trade Commissioner, and corporate privacy advisor, who spoke on on social media and privacy in the 21st century; and Karen Curtis the Australian Privacy Commissioner.
iappANZ appeals to members from across a range of industry sectors, government, regulatory bodies, academic and advocacy organisations.
As with the International Association, our members are from a large cross-section of professional backgrounds including marketing, IT, Governance, Risk, Compliance, HR, legal, business consulting and systems design are encouraged to join.
Why should you join?
Once you become a member you will receive a range of benefits including:
- The Privacy Advisor, the Official Newsletter of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, for a global perspective
- Monthly iappANZ Member Bulletins, specific to Australia and New Zealand
- Quarterly meetings on current privacy issues with a variety of speakers
- Professional networking, including Birds of a Feather style meetings
- Discounted rates on annual privacy seminar/conference
- Discounted rates on professional development events and workshops
- Access to member-only content on the iappANZ and IAPP websites
- Recognition of iappANZ membership for all IAPP purposes
- Access to IAPP conferences and audio conference materials
- A membership fee that is a significant discount compared with joining the IAPP global body directly, while still gaining all relevant member benefits
The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) is the world’s largest association of privacy professionals. Based in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, U.S.A., the organization represents more than 8,000 members in corporate, government, academic, research and not-for-profit organisations across 68 countries.
Founded in 2000, the IAPP was established to define, promote and improve the privacy profession globally through networking, education and certification. The IAPP is committed to providing a forum for privacy professionals to share best practices, track trends, advance privacy management issues, standardize the designations for privacy professionals, and provide education and guidance on opportunities in the field of privacy.
More information on the International association is available at www.privacyassociation.org.